The first visit to Disneyland is (not to overuse the word) magical. It really is. There is something truly enchanting about that hidden-away kingdom nestled behind an earthen berm. In the midst of it all, I encourage you to spend a little extra time on Main Street, rather than rushing past it on your way to the castle, or simply perusing the Emporium for a Souvenir. The best souvenir is a Disneyland silhouette.
What First-Time Visitors to the Silhouette Studio Need to Know!
What’s a Disneyland Silhouette
Think of a Disneyland silhouette as the original Magic Shot. It has nothing to do with PhotoPass, but it does capture the old-timey feel of Main Street USA in a unique way that will make lovely decorations for your home.
Disneyland silhouettes are simply black cut-outs of your profile that you can frame and keep on your wall or mantle at home. You can do one for everybody or have multiple silhouettes stacked together in one.
They were inspired by the old-fashioned art of hand-cut silhouette portraits that were popular in the late 18th and early 19th centuries before photography became commonplace.
The silhouette studio has reopened! Make sure to check the app for hours!
Timing your visit to the Silhouette Studio
Timing your visit to the Silhouette Studio on Main Street at Disneyland is crucial to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience. One of the best times to visit the studio is during the early hours of the park’s operation or as soon as the studio opens.
Arriving early not only guarantees that you beat the crowds but also allows you to capture the morning sunlight, which can add a warm and radiant touch to your silhouette art. The studio typically opens when the park does, so check the park’s operating hours in advance to plan your visit accordingly.
Another strategic time to visit is during the parades or other popular shows. While the rest of the park may be crowded with spectators, the Silhouette Studio tends to be less busy during these times, giving you a chance to get your silhouette done with minimal waiting. It’s also a great opportunity to enjoy the artistry while avoiding the hustle and bustle of Main Street.
Remember that weekends and holidays tend to be busier, so if you prefer a more relaxed experience, consider visiting on a weekday when the lines are generally shorter
Preparing for your Disneyland silhouette appointment
Preparing for your silhouette appointment at Disneyland’s Main Street Studio is a delightful part of the experience. Here are some tips to ensure that your visit is enjoyable and stress-free:
- Arrive a little early: It’s a good idea to arrive a few minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This way, you can take in the ambiance of Main Street, get a sense of the studio’s location, and be ready to start your session on time.
- Choose your subjects: Decide who will have their silhouettes created. It’s common for families to have individual silhouettes of each family member, but you can also choose to have a silhouette of a beloved pet or even a cherished Disney character.
- Relax and be still: Silhouette artists work quickly and precisely, but they’ll need you to sit as still as possible during the process. If you have young children, make sure they are comfortable and calm to get the best result.
- Think about framing: The silhouette artists will create your portrait on a small piece of paper. Think about how you might want to frame or display it once you receive it. There are often options for elegant framing available nearby.
- Enjoy the moment: The silhouette creation process is an art form in itself, and it’s fascinating to watch the skilled artists work. Take this opportunity to engage with them, ask questions, and learn about the art’s history and techniques.
Preparing for your silhouette appointment is a fun and collaborative experience, and it sets the stage for the creation of a unique and timeless piece of art that will be a cherished keepsake from your visit to Disneyland’s Main Street.
How to Buy a Disneyland Silhouette
Although many people don’t even consider getting a silhouette on Main Street, there is very often a line of customers waiting to get their silhouette taken.
The space inside is quite small. The line typically starts at the door and extends along the sidewalk. However, you do have to wait inside a tight room for some time while they prepare the silhouette for you before you buy.
It’s at this time that you can purchase a frame separately, which I do recommend. The silhouette itself comes with a double, which makes a nice gift.
How They Do Your Disneyland Silhouette
Getting your silhouette done is easy. It’s just like having your portrait done except the artist uses scissors to cut out the shape of your head. You sit and look out the window onto Main Street while the artist captures your profile. It’s all done very quickly.
A word of advice: If you want Disneyland silhouettes for multiple people, try to get them all done at once, or else have them all done by the same artist. They can come out looking stylistically different if you don’t.
Where is the Silhouette Studio on Main Street?
The Silhouette Studio comes after Crystal Arts on the east side of Disneyland’s Main Street USA. It’s very close to the Little Red Wagon. So, you know what to do….hint grab a corndog when you are done!
How Much Does a Silhouette Cost?
To access the studio and have a silhouette portrait of a guest created in Disneyland, a park admission ticket is required. Each silhouette is $11.99, per person. Guests can have the artwork framed, with the frames priced at $19.99.