Hot cocoa bombs are all the rage these days. For Disney fans, I wanted to share something that had the same feel of a classic cocoa bomb but with one some pixie magic! Read on for instructions for making easy Mickey Mouse Inspired Hot Cocoa Bombs!
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission for items purchased.
Ingredients for MICKEY MOUSE COCOA BOMBS:
● 2⁄3 c red candy wafer melts
● 2⁄3 c + 1⁄3 c milk chocolate candy wafer melts, divided
● 6 Yellow M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces
● 3 heaping tbsp hot cocoa mix
● 1⁄4 c miniature marshmallows
● 2 tbsp of red and yellow sprinkles
● (2) 2 c sized glass bowls
● Silicone spatula
● 2 Small spoons
● 2 small heat safe plates
● Food safe gloves (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING MICKEY MOUSE COCOA BOMBS
- Heat the red candy melts in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power. Stir well, and continue heating in 30 second intervals until the wafers are fully melted and smooth/creamy. Place the silicone sphere mold on a flat serving tray or baking sheet, and spoon approximately a tbsp of the melted candy wafers into the molds. Thoroughly coat the inside of the mold with a small silicone spatula, or the back of a spoon. Make sure to make the edges a little thicker, so that they don’t break when melding together. If the candy is pooled at the bottom, spread again to evenly coat all sides, or your sphere will be less circular, and more flat on the bottoms from the pooled candy. Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 minutes to set.
- While the red candy melts are setting, heat the 2⁄3 c of chocolate candy melts as you did in step 1. Remove the silicone mold from the refrigerator, and repeat step 1, filling the remaining three molds with the chocolate candy melts. Pop back in the refrigerator to set for 5-10 minutes.
- Once set, remove from the refrigerator, and begin slowly pulling the mold away from the spheres on the sides first, and then lightly push from the bottom to remove them. You can either place them on the cookie sheet, or I placed them on a piece of parchment paper for the next steps. Try to handle the Mickey Mouse Hot Cocoa Bombs as little as possible to avoid fingerprints, or melting. (To reduce fingerprint smudges, wear food safe gloves)
- Place the small plates in the microwave and heat for approximately 20 seconds. Place a red sphere open side down onto the first plate. Twist it a little to get the edges slightly melted, and then immediately flip back over and fill with a heaping tbsp of hot cocoa mix, and about 7-8 marshmallows. Place a chocolate sphere on the second plate and twist. Once the edges are slightly melted, place it on top of the filled sphere. You can twist them slightly to help meld them together. If you have any cracks that didn’t seal, heat a spoon in hot water, dry thoroughly, and use it to smooth around the seam. Repeat process to make 3 hot cocoa bombs.
- Remove 6 chocolate wafers from the remaining 1⁄3c, and set aside. Place the remaining chocolate wafers in the microwave, and repeat step 1 to fully melt. Using a spoon, drizzle a small amount of the melted chocolate onto 2 M&M or Reese’s Pieces candies, and immediately attach to the red lower sphere, right below the chocolate line. Place them side by side, leaving approximately 1⁄4” between the candies. Next, dip a spoon into the melted chocolate and drizzle back and forth onto the chocolate side of the sphere. Immediately add red and yellow sprinkles.
- Take 2 of the chocolate candy melts that were set aside, and dip into the melted chocolate, then attach as the ears on the sides of the sprinkles. If your candy melts have a slight white coloring, simply rub them lightly with your fingertips, and the white will be removed. Repeat process for each of the cocoa bombs.
- When you’re ready to enjoy your hot cocoa bomb, heat 8oz of milk in the microwave, or on the stovetop. Place your cocoa bomb in a mug, and slowly pour the milk over it. Stir lightly to open the bomb and see the hot cocoa explode. Continue stirring until the candy wafers have melted, and enjoy!